Friday, March 30, 2012

....is Birthday Gnocchi


Happy Birthday to Mine! This was my birthday pick for dinner. Mrs. M obliged & it was amazing. I did help, I made the Browned Butter with Sage but she did all the messy work.
She also made me a cake... pictures to follow!


Gnocchi
1 large Butternut Squash (about 2.5-3 lbs)
2 1/4 Cups Flour (plus additional for rolling out gnocchi)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Egg, Slightly Beaten


Browned Butter
1/2 C Butter
5-6 Fresh Sage Leaves
Parmesan, Grated

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Peel and slice Squash and roast on a lined baking sheet for 30-40 minutes until very tender. Remove and let cool.

Once cool, puree Squash in a blender, food processor or kitchenaid mixer.

Transfer to a large bowl and add Flour, Egg and Salt.

Mix until a dough forms then knead on a heavely floured surface until smooth. (I helped to about here)

Divide Gnocchi dough in half or thirds and roll each half into a large, thin rope.

Cut the rope into small one inch slices.

Once the water is boiling, drop the gnocchi in and boil until they float. You can do this in batches, dishing them out with a slotted spoon, I recommend putting them on a lined cookie sheet and keeping them warm in the oven at 200 degrees.

(Mrs. M did all the hard work here and got a little messy, all the Gnocchi rolling takes some time and patience)

We differed a little from the recipe here, the Butter did not brown to quickly.













I treated it like a roux and constantly stirred the butter over Medium heat, it took me at least 20 minutes - Burnt Butter is not the same as Browned Butter.

I also used more Butter than the original recipe and once it had browned I removed it from the heat and used the drippings to fry the Sage, then added the sage directly to the brown butter as the Gnocchi was finishing up.

Serve Gnocchi with Browned Sage Butter and Parmasean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...