Thursday, March 14, 2013

....is Biscuits for Brenner

Hello Breakfast Hub Readers!

I'm Elizabeth, from Not Everything I Make is Pretty. I'm so excited to be a contributer here, when I thought about what my first post would be it only took a second for this to pop into my head. It's my go-to Breakfast for Dinner (Brenner) recipe and sometimes my 'avoiding the grocery store' recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


Biscuit Basics:
1. Make sure you use cold butter. I throw it in the freezer while I gather the rest of the ingrediants. It doesn't take long but you want it cold for the next tip.
2. Hate 'cutting' in butter? Use a cheese grater! This brilliant tip came from an internet search and my dislike of cutting butter, where I would have previously avoided any recipe that involve this step, I now search them out.
3. Buscuit cutter? I don't own one, they make them pretty, they do, but not everything I make is pretty. I like the drop version, hands covered in dough, ball, smush, bake, yum.
4. Buttermilk.... very few people stock this in their fridge, I'm one such person. You can substiture 1/4 Cup Milk and 1 tsp of Lemon or Lime Juice to make 'buttermilk'.
5. The taste great plain, all that flakey buttery deliciousness, you can't go wrong. Try it with herbs or cheese, savory or sweet, go nuts, and let us know your favorite add-ins!
Biscuit Base:
2 Cups Flour
1 Tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Cold Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Buttermilk/Whole Milk*
Combine dry ingredients, cut cold Butter into Flour and add Buttermilk. Mix until the dough starts to become sticky. (I start with a spatula and end up mixing by hand.) Be careful not to over mix. Separate the dough into 6 roughly equal balls, and lightly smash them before placing them on a baking sheet.

Makes 6 Biscuits.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Biscuit Add-Ins:
1 Tbsp Browned Butter
6-8 Sage Leaves , Finely Chopped
4-6 Thyme Sprigs, Leaves Only
2 Tbsp Flour

The Butter and and Flour are in place of the base ingredients. Brown the Butter on medium high heat, it won't take long. Remove from the heat and add the Herbs. Place Browned Butter Herbs and Flour in a small food processor.
Sandwich Fixin's:
Caramelized Onions
Chicken Sausage
Fontina
Tomato, Sliced

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...