Monday, March 11, 2013

....is Pork and Charred Brussels


I don't think there's a child out there that craves, requests or enjoys (not even a little bit) the dreaded Brussels Sprout. Lucky  my mom was one such child so I was never subjected to these as a kiddo. I'm sure I wouldn't have liked them they have a strong cabbagy flavor.  That said, when my boyfriend requested I cook them I was shocked and responded with a 'you like them?!'. He found this recipe in Sunset Magazine and we gave it a try. I think it was the Chile Lime Sauce that I now want to put on everything but it and the rest of the recipe has now endeared me to Brussel Sprouts.


Pork and Charred Brussels
1 1/2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, Stems Trimmed & Thinly Sliced
1 Pork Tenderloin (1 1/4 lbs.), Trimmed
1/2 tsp Salt, Divided
1/2 tsp Pepper, Divided
5 Tbsp Olive Oil, Divided
1 lb Sweet Potatoes, Cut into 3/4- by 4-in. Wedges

Chile Lime Sauce
1 Red Onion, Cut into 1/2-in. Wedges
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Lime, Juiced & Zested
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
1 Serrano Chile, Minced
3/4 Cup Roughly Chopped Cilantro, Divided


Preheat oven to 450°. Separate Brussels Sprout leaves; thinly slice hearts. Set aside.

Season Pork with 1/4 tsp. each Salt and Pepper. Brown in 1 Tbsp Oil in a large frying pan over high heat, turning, 8 to 10 minutes.

Toss Sweet Potatoes in a roasting pan with Onion, 2 Tbsp Oil, and 1/4 tsp. each Salt and Pepper. Add pork. Roast 15 to 20 minutes for medium-rare, stirring Vegetables once.

Meanwhile, purée Honey, Lime Zest, Lime Juice, Soy Sauce, Garlic, Ginger, and the Serrano Chile in a blender. Set sauce aside.


Heat 1Tbsp Oil in the frying pan over high heat and lightly char half the Brussels Sprouts, stirring, 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat for remaining Brussels Sprouts. Toss with 1/2 cup Cilantro and 1/4 cup Chile Lime Sauce.

Slice Pork, toss Sweet Potatoes with remaining Cilantro, and set on a platter with Brussels Sprouts. Drizzle more Chile Lime Sauce to taste over everything (you may have some left over and it's delicious).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...