Wednesday, March 27, 2013

....is St. Patrick's Day Guinness Brisket

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Ok....so it's a little belated but I hope you had a good one. Here's the meal I put together to get into the holiday spirit. I served it with Irish Soda Bread, a Guinness & a Little Stout Cake for dessert! Considering I took the bits and pieces of about half a dozen recipes to come up with what I wanted I'm pretty happy with it how it turned out. I have one note on the Sweet Potatoes below but other than that: pure deliciousness.
Ingredients
1 Beef Brisket, (2-1/2 lbs), Trimmed
2 Onions, Coarsely Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, Sliced
1 Cup (or more!) Guinness Stout Beer
6 Red Potatoes, Cut in 6-8 Pieces
2-1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Sweet Potatoes, Quartered & Coarsely Chopped
3 Heads of Baby Bok Choy
Brisket Rub
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp All-Spice
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 
Prepare brisket by trimming the surface fat known as silver-skin. Combine fresh seasonings with Brown Sugar, Honey & All Spice. Pour Olive Oil onto brisket and season first with Salt and Pepper. Rub meat in  seasoning mix.

Drizzle Olive Oil into preheated Dutch Oven. Brown both sides of the meat, about 3 minutes per side. (Watch out for smoke! One side of my Brisket got a little more blackened than I would have liked).  If you need to add more Oil to prevent burning, do so. Remove the meat.
Add the Onion to begin deglazing. Once Onions soften slightly, about 3 minutes, add garlic. Continue to stir, taking care nothing is sticking to the bottom. Pour in Guinness, continue stirring, this should loosen most of the brown caramelized bits off the pan. Add Red Potatoes, Brisket and pour Broth half way up the Meat. Cover the pot and place in the oven, braising for 1 -1/2 hours.

Remove from oven, lift Meat to add sweet potatoes,* return beef to the dutch oven opposite side down. Braise an additional 1 hour, or until fork tender. (If your piece of meat is larger, you might have to braise longer, but you may need to add a little more broth if it is low. Meat should be falling-apart tender.
*I added the Sweet Potatoes at the same time as the Red Potatoes and they all but disintegrated. I don't think they need nearly as long to cook so I would recommend adding the halfway thru. The Red Potatoes held up fine.
Little Brother came home for Spring Break just in time for dinner!! I think he did that on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...