Friday, August 16, 2013

....is Oated Stout Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting


A friend of mine has created an in home brewery, Helix Brewery Co. It's a little more intense than what you might imagine. He built out an area in his house to hold massive tanks that heat and cool things to transform yeast, malts & hops (lots of hops) into an assortment of brews. I've told him any beer he's willing pass my way will be returned as sweet treats, so long as there is enough to cook with and enjoy a glass or two as I bake. This stout cake is my first attempt at baking with his beer, I used his Honor Not Inner Oated Stout in both the cake and the frosting. The Peanut Butter overtook the frosting some, I couldn't get the Stout flavor to come thru as much as I would have liked but the cake itself was well flavored and moist. Next time I'd like to try a stout glaze that's a little stronger. I'm open to suggestions, on this or other brew related recipes. There's not too many sweet beer treats out there but I'd like to try some more.


For the Cake
1 1/2 Cup Stout
1/2 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Cup Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Simmer Stout and Butter, when the Butter has melted add Cocoa Powder. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Whisk Eggs & Yogurt together, add Vanilla. Add the Stout mixture to this. Fold in dry ingredients. Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool completely before adding frosting or glaze.

For the Frosting
3 Tbsp Butter
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
2-4 Tbsp Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp Stout

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...