Wednesday, January 29, 2014

....is Parmesan Garlic Mashed Potatoes


I'm still catching up on posting Christmas recipes (I'm only a little behind), I brought these Parmesan Garlic Mashed Potatoes to Christmas dinner at a family friend's house. I typically struggle to make mashed potatoes. I get impatient with boiling or baking them, I don't understand why they take soooo long to cook through. In my impatience I decide the potatoes must be done (even when I know they're not) and take them out early. I don't recommend taking that approach with potatoes, it's the reason my first attempt at Gnocchi turned out a little wonky and my mash potatoes have a somewhat unsettling crunch to them.
In the spirit of Christmas I decided I would be patient, I would not set a timer and the potatoes would be taken out when they were cooked and not when I wanted them to be done.

Success! I thought about not showing up and only sharing the potatoes with CPB but that didn't seem very nice. There were a lot of hungry boys at our Christmas dinner and the potatoes disappeared pretty quickly. I suspect my little brothers (HLCIII & TW) may have eaten half of them all on their own. They were rich, cheesy and creamy. No lumps, no crunch. Perfect. 

3-1/2 lbs Golden Potatoes, Peeled & Cubed
1-1/2 Tbsp Salt
1-1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 Shallot, Minced 
6 Tbsp Butter, Divided
6 oz Parmesan, Shredded (or more!)

Brown 4 Tbsp Butter to a nice caramel color and nutty smell. Remove from heat and add minced Garlic and Shallot and set aside to cool slightly. 

Boil Potatoes for 30-40 minutes. Using a ricer, mash potatoes into a mixing bowl, add remaining two Tbsp of Butter and Browned Butter mixture. Slowly add cream while mixing, once combined beat until fluffy. 


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...